Wednesday, June 22, 2005

La Uva

“It is easy to believe that you will fall off the career ladder or become less “marketable” if you take time off to raise your children. But marketability can be regained; a childhood cannot. Remember when you consider your lost career “potential” that your potential as a mother will never again be quite as profound as it is during your child’s first few years. Your career may span forty or more years. Your children will probably live with you for eighteen years; they may only be home for five years before full time schooling begins and you will be the centre of their universe for only the first three years or so. Parenting is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Peggy O’Mara in Natural Family Living (2000:119)

It's almost political to place family first - before a new car, a bigger home, expensive clothes, and other items marketed as 'necessities'.

I live in my dream home. It's not the home I imagine when I am wishing for a bigger kitchen or bath witamenitiesmenities. It's the home I imagined being in while caring for my family: structurally sound and affordable.

When I looked at the successful people in my family, the ones with the most stability and ease were working everyday jobs. What created their stability was they did not spend their money unnecessarily. They practiced discipline. Drove their cars for years, and only purchased what they could pay for in full ~ whether it be a car, a toy, or home improvement. They enjoy life, but they don't lose track of their goals. It was eye opening.

I wish I were further along that road myself. Discipline is still a struggle. We are on the right path, and we need more discipline. Two steps forward, one step back, eyes wide open.

1 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

That's a very good point about children and working. Children are only with us a short time..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home