Wednesday, June 15, 2005

pole dance

I.

Thursday, April 28th, I walked headfirst into a parallel bar on the playground. I smoothly ducked the first one, came up, strode forward, and somehow nailed my forehead on the second bar. (The "parallel" aspect escaped me.)

I didn't pass out. Thankfully. Although, I may have given myself whiplash for the first time without the help of anyone else. No other driver, other person. Just me and the playground equipment. I obviously don't bounce the same as when I was four.

II.

We have a bird feeder. It was outside the kitchen window. I would see it when I was washing dishes. It worked very well for about a week. Little sparrows and chickadees gathered.

Then it was discovered by our local, bushy tailed squirrel. A nice interlude: running water, beautiful hedgerow, birds gathered on branches watching the lone squirrel *gorge* on seed.

The feeder sits atop of long, steel pole, and comes equipped with a domed roof. The pole and dome are "squirrel prevention".

We moved the bird feeder closer to the apple tree. At the moment he is sitting on the feeder eating lunch. I watched him shimmy up the pole and swing himself up and onto the rim in an acrobatic dance move. At least he had to burn a few calories in the endeavor.

III.

The town where I lived as a teenager had tall, steel lamp posts towering above the main street. As a child in New York, I recall the lamp posts were placed next to the road. Not here. In this sleepy Florida town, they were placed in the center of the sidewalk.

I was shy and bookish in high school. I'd hide in a world of words, even when walking. I recall this one afternoon, nose firmly buried, when I connected with one of those hard, metal posts. I woke, book sprawled across my chest, sidewalk hard beneath my back. Cars whizzing by. Sun shining down. I always prayed the time between connection and waking had been brief. Very brief.

1 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger La Uva said...

Squirrel proofing with grease would be great. What do you use?

It hurt, and was embarassing until a few moms graciously shared they had also connected painfully with playground equipment.

I think I may be a little more alone on the lamp post...but I did learn a valuable lesson to not 'walk and read'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home